Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Melancholy of Saber Lily Anniversary


Can you believe I've been doing this 4koma comic series for a year now? Once again I started this out of wanting to do something fun and stupid with my special edition Figmas. I thought it'd be cool to have Saber Lily fighting an RPG-based warrior Haruhi. They had the appropriate gears and both have a sword. With more ideas and demands popping up, I couldn't resist creating more and more!



So this time, as you can see in the first picture, Drossel will appear in the pages of Melancholy of Saber Lily. I've been holding off on using Drossel because a lot of people were still using her and I didn't want to flood the internet with more of Drossel. I think I waited long enough to make Drossel stand out and for me to have an idea (and to actually execute it).

Yes, I realize it's a busy weekend, especially with what's going on in Vancouver. We have the Olympics starting, Valentine's Day and the Lunar New Year on Sunday. Yet, the most important for me in this weekend was to finish the first year anniversary post of The Melancholy of Saber Lily ^^;

It didn't help that my friend wanted to go see a new movie on Friday, the day of the Winter Olympic Opening Ceremony... He wanted to see "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" instead of the real Olympics. I ended up spending 4 hours away from doing these 4koma. It was surprisingly good though. Since it was based on a series of books for young teenagers, I expected it to be corny. It had a somewhat convenient and rushed ending, but the rest of it was good. ANYHOW... Rants aside, let's get to the comics!

Oh but first... I'll be having references to Drossel's original series, Fireball, so it might be good for you to see at least the first episode to get the gist of it.



The Melancholy of Saber Lily Part 33


(Virtual) Cookies to anyone who can guess the reference to the first two panels. I made these 4koma to look like the series, so I stole a few screenshots to get Gedächtnis in there ^^;  I thought it might make the crossover between Haruhi and Drossel more believable. Yep, so a new crossover begins... But I honestly don't have a lot of ideas for this, so I may not go with it too far. It will have to go back and forth.

And it seems like I do have a regular schedule for my 4koma comics... Once a month, lol! I hope to do it more frequently, but if I get busy with other things, I just won't have time to make these...

The Melancholy of Saber Lily Part 34


Yeah, I like to play with Drossel's innocence just a little bit. I can at least keep it innocent for two panels, right? I'll recently read this volume of original English language manga drawn by Adam Warren that featured a superheroine who gets stuck in bondage a lot... So I thought I'd include some of that stuff with Saber Lily, lol!


This is the said "manga", though it's closer to comic book... Actually I don't know, it's quite a hybrid. It's drawn in manga style, but it's in a comic book format and it involves superheroes. Even the author was concerned about the hybrid because people who like manga doesn't like superheroes comic books and people who like superheroes comic books doesn't like manga. Me, I like both, so this was the ideal comic!


It didn't hurt that the comic had a lot of... mature situations, and the main character's costume tends to get ripped a lot (like Ikki Tousen). I've read volume 5 recently and wow... it was quite a tear-jerker. It even had some yuri moments in it. I might write about this comic/manga hybrid again one day. It's a great series for people who like both manga and superheroes.

But I digress... I didn't have time to work on a new banner for the comic site unfortunately... but you can visit The Melancholy of Saber Lily's site to read the previous installments and read it all without this nosy commentaries ^^;

Of course before I go, I can't leave you without the bigger version of Saber Lily bound and gagged, can I?

 


Happy Valentine's Day! =P

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive