Tuesday, April 20, 2010

20 Years in Canada

4/20 for me is completely different than what some other people celebrate on this day. On April 20th, 20 years ago, my family and I arrived in Vancouver, Canada. On a very cool spring morning, by the way. This week the weather is much warmer than it was back then. Yeah, perfect weather for whatever she's doing up there...

So I was quite a young'un when my dad told all of us that we'd be living for 3 years in Canada. So the first thing we did was to learn English as fast as we can in the short amount before we leave. I went to a couple of after school English classes. It's all a blur now, so I don't remember a lot of what happened in between that time and before we arrived. I did remember telling a few of my friends in Jakarta that I'd be moving to a much colder place.

When we arrived in Canada, my dad told us both that, we won't be moving back to Jakarta after 3 years, we'd be living in Canada permanently. As a young child, I'm sure that didn't mean much to me, but now that I think about it, it was quite a significant change!

5 years after we moved we finally traveled back to Jakarta for a month. That was the only time I returned home ever since we moved here... 10 years after we moved we finally got our Canadian citizenship, even though we were able to become citizens after 3 years of permanent residence.

The Lumber Gundam... The visual giant robot representation of my interest as an anime fan in Canada

I don't feel much after 20 years though. I've lived here longer than I have lived in Jakarta, so I'm used to living in Canada for a while. Yet I hear so many changes in Indonesia that would've made living with my interest that much more fun! I wonder though if I would still loved anime the way I do now if I lived there.

Anyway... this post was unplanned and I probably wrote some nonsense. I'm not one to be nostalgic, so I can't say much about my past, especially since I've forgotten a lot of my memories. We're celebrating it anyway though. No, not by consuming marijuana as other people do on this day ^^; We're planning for all-you-can-eat sushi tonight barring any change in plans. Maybe I'll update with photos after dinner :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive